Kiwiria

Deborah Harkness
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
Rachel Joyce

The Crimson Petal and the White

The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Faber A 2.5 star review.First a disclaimer: I use the Goodreads definition of the stars, where 2 stars means "It was ok". I.e. this is not a bad rating! It's an average rating.Because honestly, I thought it was an average book. It was pretty well written, but it was so LONG! And not good enough to justify 900+ pages. The story could easily have been told in half that space. The plot was interesting enough, although I did sometimes wonder where on earth Michel Faber was going with this... which turned out to be a reasonable worry, because the answer was "Nowhere."Had it had a better ending, I would probably have given it a rating of 3 - maybe even 3.5. But it hadn't, so I didn't. Instead I turned the last page thinking, "That was it?!?!?! What a cop-out!"I wanted to know what happened next! I wanted the happy ending we got cheated out of. It's a pathetic book indeed when the characters are happier 200 pages from the end that they are at the end - and not a type of pathetic I do well with.So average. Not a book I'm likely to reread, but one I'm glad to be able to cross off my to-read list and say "The Crimson Petal and the White"? Sure, I've read that!" :)